The McClellan-Gariepy Funeral Home is one of the best examples in Washington County of Federal period architecture. The house was built in 1790 by Revolutionary War General John Williams as a wedding present for his daughter, Maria, and her husband, the Hon. Anthony James Blanchard.
A Palladian window arches over the entrance and the front door, flanked by side windows with original hand blown glass panels, has an unusually large, handsome lock which can still be worked with the original key. Spacious rooms with fireplaces open from the broad hall, which extends from the front entrance to a large veranda at the rear of the house. The chapel has a mantel and fireplace framed in Italian marble.
The trimmings of the house without and within are carved by hand in England and designed in the classic style of James and Robert Adam, noted eighteenth century British architects.
The ornate front parlor is referred to as the "Adam Room" and the marriages of several generations of the Blanchard family were performed under a particularly beautiful carved arch in this room. The house once served as a temporary resting place for the body of a hero of the American Revolution, General Richard Montgomery, who was killed in 1775 during the siege of Quebec. In 1818 his body was removed to New York where Congress honored him with a memorial at St. Paul's Church. The funeral cortege stopped in Salem and the General's body lay in state in the hall.